Thursday, October 25, 2012

6 Money Tips...or is it 7?...or 5?

Now that we are doing a financial fast, it seems everywhere I look there's some kind of money saving tip.  Why am I just now noticing all these?!  Funny how God opens our eyes to exactly what we need to see.  And when those tips are in list-fashion, why it's all the better!

Check out this article from MSN Money:  6 Mindless Ways You Waste Money.  I love this sentence in the first paragraph:  Despite the benefits of putting money away, many of us have trouble actually doing it.  This has been one of our financial goals for years.....but who has the funds to actually save anything?!  Part of the reason for writing this blog is because I KNOW there are others out there in the same boat we are--you know, the one with all the holes in the bottom where the money keeps leaking out!  The headings of the 6 money wasters:
  1. Convenience stores--not really an issue for us, but it could potentially be one when we go on road trips and stop at the gas station/mini-mart.
  2. Cell phone plans--I'm still struggling with the news that it seems we're already on the cheapest plan.  My gut tells me there is still money to be had in this department....
  3. Soft drinks--since I'm a one-specific-drink-and-nothing-else girl (diet creme soda), this is not an issue for me.  But.....good to know.
  4. Unnecessary bank fees--also not an issue, and do people actually PAY their bank?!
  5. Magazines--I agree that subscriptions cost way less, but here's an even better idea:  go the the library and check out a copy!  Or sit at the library--a nice quiet relaxing place--and read a magazine.
  6. Annual credit card fees--ummm....see #3!


Here's another great article from MSN money:  7 Things That Cost Way Too Much.  I have to admit, I often fall into the "I didn't realize there was a better deal" group.  I'm sort of a naive shopper who thinks all stores have the same basic prices, right?  So what's a couple dollars difference in the end?.....I'd spend that on gas going from store to store.  BUT--this article was helpful to know what to watch for.  It appears we've already made our first mistake on Thing #1:
  1. HDMI cables--hoo boy, we already bought one to attach our laptop to our TV, and my-oh-my we paid more than this article suggests.  And we got it from the very same store the article mentions as a price-hiker store.  Yikes.
  2. Apple accessories--we don't have an iphone, but it does reinforce that my cheap-o headphones that came with my phone are just fine for me.
  3. DVDs--this was an eye-opener to me, but just like giving up cable, I'm now wondering why the heck would you want to spend money on actual DVDs anymore?
  4. Anti-virus software--this is where I have fallen into the "surely I will be safer with the one the store recommends" trap.  But even still, this article shows that with a little shopping around, you can find the exact same product for cheaper.
  5. Hotel minibars--ok are there really people in the world who don't know how over the top this is?  Why would you even open it?!
  6. Movie concessions--last summer my lovely husband and kids took advantage of Regal Cinemas $1 movies for kids.  But he got sucked in when he bought popcorn.....and then ya gotta have a drink too!....and the $1 movie turned into $14.  The boat got a little more leaky that day....
  7. Travel size toiletries--not really an issue for us, but I have to admit I have a weird attraction to the travel-size aisle.....they're just so cute!

And lastly, I found this great little video (short and sweet) on The 5 Best Ways To Save On Food.  Good stuff to know.

Hope you enjoy lists as much as I do! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment